Saturday, November 17, 2007

The 161 Meme

"Turn around, Bright Eyes..." and there's another meme challenge! Well, this is a whole lot more fun than chain letters. So, here goes. My friend, footnoteMaven,, has tagged me for this meme. The rule is: pick up the book you are reading, turn to page 161, and divulge the contents of the sixth sentence on that page.

One of the books I am currently reading--the most grab-able one, anyway--is a biography/autobiography: "Hazel Wolf: Fighting the Establishment," by Susan Starbuck, University of Washington Press. Wolf is known for her environmental activism and connections with the Seattle Audubon Society, and typically used plenty of smart one-liners to help throw her modest weight around. An incredible Pacific Northwest woman...

Wolf's statement on the sixth line of page 161 is:

"I"m going to clam up, for the simple reason that if I say that I know them, they're going to be tarred as Communists, and they'll be hounded and harassed, and I'm not going to have that happen to any of my friends, or anybody that signs anything or is associated with me in any way."


Hmmm, who do I tag? The rule is five people. I'm going to go with a smattering of geographic locations, from Spokane in my home state of Washington, to Carmichael, California, and then on to St. Louis, Missouri, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin; finally, across the Big Water in the UK:


Ladies and gentlemen, consider yourself tagged for "161":


Miriam of AnceStories

Craig of GeneaBlogie

John of Transylvanian Dutch

Brian of Zalewski Family

and Nikki-ann

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chery:

What an interesting book! This meme has done wonders to increase my Christmas Book Wish List.

Thanks for playing along and it is more fun than chain letters.

fM

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Thanks for tagging me. I've just completed the meme :D

Miriam Robbins said...

Thanks for tagging me! You can read my post here.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Hello again :)

The weather in Wales is cold! We had snow yesterday (completely unexpected), but it's mostly gone now, just a dusting left on the tops of the hills.