Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Not Exactly Genealogy...

Somehow I found myself in the middle of a new project in February. It's not exactly genealogy, but it's my first chance to work with a publisher. My goal has always been to write, not just for the enjoyment of it, but to produce something that is of interest to others. When I recently met the Pacific Northwest regional editor for Arcadia Publishing, Julie Albright, she gave me a proposal packet, which I looked over about a week later. Like an anvil suddenly dropped on my head, I realized I could do it! And so, together with my extroverted and indispensable husband who is serving as the chief "Go-Fer," I am compiling a book of archival images about our own neighborhood: Snoqualmie Pass, Washington. The contract has already been signed, and we have a deadline of June 5th. I'm hoping the book will be available at bookstores and online sometime in the autumn of this year, but it depends upon the publisher's schedule.

Creating this book is quite exciting for me, and I am learning so very much throughout the process. Yes, it is a lot of hard work, although you'd think that collecting images would be easier than actually writing a whole book. In many ways, it is, but it is still time consuming. There are archives and libraries to check, prints and scans to order, and permissions to acquire. There is research to conduct, because the photo captions need to be legitimate and factual. In the private sector, there are people to call, appointments to keep, albums to go through, and once again, permissions to acquire. Copyright is an issue that I take very seriously! After all of that, there is scanning, scanning, and more scanning, and finally, planning the layout and pulling it all together.

I'll post more information about "Snoqualmie Pass" when it is complete. For more information about Arcadia Publishing, please visit www.arcadiapublishing.com.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like a very interesting project to be working on :)

    ReplyDelete